This is an easy and tasty turkey meatball recipe that sneaks in a serving of spinach. It’s gluten free, and great for kids!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 10 Oz fresh or frozen spinach
- 1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup oat flour or breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup onions or green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp parsley
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar/honey
- Preheat oven 400 F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions; cook for about 5 minutes until fragrant.
- If using fresh spinach: add spinach to skillet, increase heat to medium-high and cook until tender.
- Set aside cooked vegetables to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey meat, egg, oat flour (or breadcrumbs), parsley, oregano, pepper flakes, honey/brown sugar (optional), salt and black pepper. If using frozen spinach, add it in this step.
- Add cooled, cooked vegetables and mix thoroughly.
- Lightly coat baking dish with cooking spray.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of turkey mixture and shape into balls; place into baking dish. Lightly coat or drizzle each ball with olive oil.
- Bake meatballs uncovered for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through; turning after 10 minutes of baking.
When made with oat flour, these meatballs are very moist! If you like your meatballs to have more bite use bread crumbs or a bit more oat flour.
Nutrition per serving:
13g Carb; 13g Fat;
Sean Peters is an electrical engineering PhD candidate currently studying at Columbia University. To read more about Sean and his recipes, visit mybodymykitchen.com.