This is the most comforting soup ever! Even my kids love it. You won’t believe the flavor and it’s surprisingly simple and fast. Heck, you’ll knock it out on a weeknight in 15 minutes. Serve alongside a little roasted chicken or fish and you’re all set!
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 jar roasted bell peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2-4 tbsp dry or fresh basil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1 cup low fat milk (optional)
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt & pepper
1. Preheat pot to medium. Roughly chop onion and garlic.
2. Add olive oil and onions to the pot and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onions just start to color a little bit.
3. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds until it just starts to “speak” to you (that means it starts to smell really good, but be careful, garlic goes from perfect to burnt in a hot second). If you are spicing the soup up with red pepper flakes, add them to the garlic.
4. Add tomatoes and bell peppers and heat for 5 minutes.
5. Puree the soup in batches with basil, in a blender. If you are using a low fat milk puree it into your last batch before adding the soup back into the pot.
6. Bring soup to a low simmer and add balsamic vinegar if using.
7. Add salt and pepper, taste and adjust.
- If you use milk, do not bring heat past a low simmer or the milk will curdle.
- If you want a silkier soup, run the pureed soup through a mesh strainer before adding back to the pot.